Saturday, July 31, 2010

Advice on seeking help without insurance?

Im 25 and suffer from severe depression. As a teenager I was diagnosed and hospitalized for it twice. I havent had any treatment since I was 17.


Recently, I had a baby and my depression has kicked into overdrive and I decided to try and get treatment for it again.





My problem is, Im embarrassed about it. i dont have health insurance and have been calling around trying to find out where I can get help for it without having insurance, but I havent had any luck.





Does anyone in my situation have any advice?Advice on seeking help without insurance?
I do understand completely. And actually you are not alone in that you feel embarrassed about asking for help. I know for me it was the fact that if I did, it was like I was saying I was messed up and something was wrong with me.





I am an independent broker with Ameriplan (just so you know before hand and it's not like I am trying to hide anything or that I am just saying all this to get you to buy something...) I do use the plans personally and love them, and for someone in your situation without insurance and needing to find a way of getting the help you need, it can in fact help.





That being said, one service that is offered through our plan, is online mental health services. You can actually get the help you need %26amp; not have to feel so nervous about it.





You can take a look at the plans at http://www.mybenefitsplus.com/cberney


And if you click on ';Locate a Provider'; then scroll down the page, you will see the info in regards to the Online Mental Health services.





Hopefully this will help you out! Let me know if you have any questions or if you'd like to have more details.





All my best!Advice on seeking help without insurance?
Most cities have mental health crisis centers where you can go in case of emergency. But you can also call them for referrals to non profit mental health centers that will provide services on a sliding scale.
Perhaps Planned Parenthood can refer you to someone. Good luck!
You can usually find free or inexpensive treatment at college campuses, where they train psychologists and social workers. Or, you can offer to pay out of pocket, on a sliding scale, but it's harder to find someone that will accept it. Ask for interns or people working under supervision. They will accept less $$.

No comments:

Post a Comment