Thursday, July 29, 2010

I am in need of school advice please help me?

I am a junior in highschool and am looking to have my major picked by the time I leave in just under 2 yrs for college. I don't know how to pick a school.Plus I can't decide what I want to be. I love to bake but I also like advertising and math so I need some help from people in the marketing, culinary and business world. Please give any advice on where you went, what degree you have and how far it got you.That would really help me cause I don't know anyone in any of the fields above. Thanks!I am in need of school advice please help me?
I know that it seems really, really important but don't worry about it. Pick any major in which you think you might be interested, such as English, communications or math. Then go to college and work on being a good student. You can switch majors in a year or two without any effect on your graduation and that gives you four years to decide -- plenty of time to think about what you'd like to do.





If you are a good student, you can even have a dual major or a major/minor. I used to be on the faculty at a college and several of the hard-working students did this. It's not about your major -- it's about how hard you work for it.





My only degree is an associates in electrical technology. I have been the editor of a magazine, do a lot of freelance writing and have a VERY well-paid job as an engineer in the television industry.I am in need of school advice please help me?
Go to UT, Hook 'Em Horns!
You just gave a lot of good reasons why you should NOT be worrying about picking a major right now, or even when you start college. You still need time to explore, and unless your high school can place you into programs where you can get more hands-on experience, learning about professions from real professionals and not your average high school teachers, then you can't be expected to pick a direction by the end of high school. Then at the college level, this problem can continue unless you get to be taught by full-time professors who are experts in their field and not grad students or part-time faculty. It can take a while for college students to get a decent idea what any chosen field is like when practiced in the real world.





Given your very broad interests, you sound as though you'd be a very good candidate to start college at a community college that has both a culinary and business program as well as regular liberal arts classes. You should feel free to take a bit of everything for at least a year, as it already sounds as though you've got all the makings of a very successful baker. Those introductory classes will put you in touch with people in those fields, and that is where you can ask your questions about what you should do.





If your high school program is one where the senior year has less requirements, see if you can dual enroll in some of these community college classes while you are a senior. Or take some community college classes next summer before your senior year. But I'm telling you, it will do you no good to have people simply spout off what THEY did, because THEY AREN'T YOU. You need to explore these fields for yourself and get your own first-hand experience.





I think you're going to be great at whatever path you choose because you're already doing an excellent job of thinking ahead. But keep in mind that all paths will lead to you learning more about yourself, so don't be afraid to explore and change paths midway.
go to princeton review.com. they have a lot of info that can probably help you
Drop out of school, become a drunk and forget about it!
If you like advertising and math ... how about statistics? Get a position with a research company.

No comments:

Post a Comment