Saturday, July 31, 2010

Can someone offer me some advice on how to help a friend who is suffering from depression?

My friend is 25 years of age and is suffering from severe depression. She has been in thereapy for 3 years with three different therapist and has also been on anti-depressants for 2 years and nothing seems to be helping. She was taking Zoloft, Paxal, and Laxapro but none of the medications worked no matter how high the doctors increased the dosage. She is extremely depressed about a number of things. She has low self-esteem because people always criticise her apperance and says that she's ugly which she is not in my opinion. She just looks like an average normal person. She hates the way her body looks and she's very depressed over the fact that she is lonely. She really wants a husband badly. She has never been in a relationship before at her age or have been out on a date before she cries and worries herself to death because she thinks that she will be alone forever. I am really worried I don't want my friend to committ suicide. I don't know what to doCan someone offer me some advice on how to help a friend who is suffering from depression?
The two most effective things I found for depression (and believe me I suffered for years) were:





1. Removing simple carbohydrates and replacing with complex carbs (eg Wholemeal instead of white bread). This allows a more natural chemical situation)


2. Physical exercise. Even if she doesn't feel like 'working out', suggest that the two of you go for a walk. the first day only has to be to the corner, then the next day go alittle bit further etc, until she is walking about 30-45 minutes a day. Moving the body relieves stress and allow better metabolism, which leads to a greater sense of wellbeing.








Please understand that depression must be attacted physically first, because mentally and emotionally the person is stuck in a hole and cannot just 'pick themselves up and dust themselves off'





Also pets can bring a new sense of love and wonder into a person's life. You could suggest to your friend that the two of you go shopping for a pet. Good on you for caring enough to try and helpCan someone offer me some advice on how to help a friend who is suffering from depression?
get her some ganga lol
if there are things she hate in herself how about encouraging her to do something about it instead of being so depressed ? she can take up sports or just go to the gym ........ excuses are for lame
I would suggest she see a naturopath. They seem quite insightful when it comes to these things.





As far as the low self esteem, I used to be just like that. I was so hung up on looks until I realized how much I was missing out on while I was worrying what I looked like. I guess I just grew out of it. In your 30's, you worry less about these things. In your teens and twenties, everyone is so preoccupied with fashion and looks.





Tell her to get out and get some sunshine in the meantime. I think a trip to the naturopath would be worthwhile since nothing else has helped so far.
Unfortunately if your friend is already seeing a number of professionals for her condition, and nothing has helped (maybe you mean that some things have helped somewhat, but not completely?), then you as a layperson don't have any power to cure this disease. Does she have people she can call when she's in a crisis, besides only you? Find out what support services there are for suicide or crisis in your city and make sure she has the contacts there.





Clinical depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain, not merely worry about a particular idea or dislike of one's appearance. She has probably never had a relationship because of the way she acts, not the way she looks. Even models with kind and supportive husbands can get severely depressed. If you can stand to be around this person long enough, keep on talking to her and taking her on outings when she lets you, as sitting at home brooding will never help her condition. But the fact is that being a friend to such a person is extremely draining emotionally, since they tend to not be capable of fully giving friendship back (being usually listless, negative, and self-absorbed). Hopefully she will network so that you're not her one and only support.
Just be there for her. Having';clinical depression'; is tough. It runs in my family.Just knowing someone cares sometimes is enough for me.Don't overdo things too much though. If someone is extra nice to me all the time, I get suspicious. I don't know if your friend is any way like me, but I hope my suggestions helped you some. If she says she's going to kill herself though, take it seriously.it may just be a cry for attention, but many people who say they want to kill themselves really will try.You can never tell what might cause it either.I lost a friend of mine last year who had alot to live for, but he was also very confused about the direction his life was going. He warned us all he was going to do it. In the end, there was nothing we could do for him though, it was his decission.
You are a good friend, hang in there with her. I used to be alot like her. I take paxil and it works for me. First, she needs to stop the pity party and get honest with herself no matter how hard. Does she drink or use drugs? Encourage her to take good physical care of herself. Find a new therapist!!! ASAP. I also take vitamin B-100 which helps PMS and depression for me. She needs to get her hair done, exercise, use makeup, let her inner beauty shine, shine, shine. Men are attracted to women who are passionate about something, confident and sexy. I wish her the best! Her time will come!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment