Sunday, July 25, 2010

Can somebody help me with some Cockatiel Advice?

I have three pet Cockatiels. Two of them are bonded to eachother, however, when my male Cockatiel preens my females head, he pulls out her feathers! She is completely bald from her head to her neck. How can I stop the male from pulling out the females feathers? HELP!Can somebody help me with some Cockatiel Advice?
I too have a mated pair in which the male has plucked the feathers from the female's neck. From what I can tell ,this is a dominating behavior act. Both birds love each other, but he just uses this way to show her who is boss.


You could try separating them, but that might upset both of them.


You could also try applying ';Bitters'; to her feathers. This is supposed to taste so bad that it deters them. If your local pet shops don't have it , try DrsFosterSmith.com


It costs $3.99-$4.99 plus shipping, depending upon what brand you get.





Good luck.Can somebody help me with some Cockatiel Advice?
That's not good.


The best way that I can think of is to separate the male and female, but keep the separate cages close together. You can let them play together when they are out.
DO NOT PUT THE MALE WITH A FEMALE!
Males do this as they are in the mating mood. I have a bonded pair to and at times her head is that way. As long as he leaves her alone it will grow back and if not just seperate them til it does. Put the cages side by side so they can see each other and talk. Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment