Thursday, July 29, 2010

Any help/advice for getting fit to run?

In the past I have always been a sprinter, BUT now high school is done and I am going to be doing longer runs. I have been working out the past couple weeks to prepare myself for these longer runs. But today it hit me, everything I have been doing is what I would be doing if I was going to do sprints again.





So what are some different exercises? Any tips for a former sprinter?





Also, in sprints I always had to run on my toes...will this be a problem?Any help/advice for getting fit to run?
I have been running for 8 years now and would break running down to two things: training and clothing. So, generally speaking, this is what I would recommend for you:





I would strengthen the core: calves, quads, hams, back and abdominal (the ';six pack'; muscles along with th obleks), chest and arms. But when strengthening these muscles, I would focus more on the muscle endurance not the muscle bulk. For more advice for this, I would consult with a personal trainer. For the running part, I would stay flexible as it helps/contributes to your balance (so do the muscles in your core) but also helps prevent some injuries lik pulled muscles and shin splints. Also, I would try to make up a schedule where you can run for X amount of days and try to have a long run. I would start off slowly, running about 2-3 miles per run for the first week and increase my mileage per week. Make sure you have the following: a good diet, hydration, sleep, a good sense on how to take care of your body, and sleep.





Though I am biased towards Nike as a brand, I would recommend you to go to a running-specific store, like Fleet Feet in Carrboro, NC. They can help you find the right shoe because people buy shoes that aren't necssarily right for their feet, but more comfortable or fashionable. But after you get the correct shoes or even if you haven't, I would go to any major athletics store and ask the sales associates. Clothing is all about the comfort meaning that whatever fits well, feels good as it naturally falls on you, and how it feels and fits while running. Good luck!!!Any help/advice for getting fit to run?
i'm a sprinter and now moving on to long distance runs too. 21km, 42km etc. i believe muscle strength and durability is very important. normally, sprints requires high muscle movements, and we're the same. we run on our toes. it increases the speed and the charge strength but in order to prevent injuries etc, remember to stretch after each sprints above 200m. 100m is just warm-ups.
Start out jogging slowly at first, gradually working your way up. Lunges are a good way to stretch before and after jogging. Also, be sure not to run on your toes. This would be damaging to both your feet, ankles and toes. You need to re-train yourself to run - hitting your heals first, then rolling on the toes.
  • female mask
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment