Saturday, August 21, 2010

Can someone help me provide my parents tips and advice on how to handle a college bound high school senior?!?

I am currently a senior in high school and next year I plan on attending a 4-year University. I have been extremely irritated lately because my parents keep nagging me about why I'm staying up late studying and doing all these extra curricular activities. They do not understand what it takes to become accepted into a University. They are just completely blind about this whole process. They refuse to be active in my school life and to talk to someone who could explain why i'm doing what I'm doing. It is just so frustrating when my parents aren't giving me encouragement when I need it the most. Someone please help!Can someone help me provide my parents tips and advice on how to handle a college bound high school senior?!?
How wonderful! I just LOVE your self motivation!





Some kids are pushed and rebel, others like you have ambition and drive and it is so admirable. Just do what you are doing. Some of the most admired people in History have succeeded in spite of their families not because of them.


Your parents lose by not being involve in your activities. I wish you the best.Can someone help me provide my parents tips and advice on how to handle a college bound high school senior?!?
ask your school counselor, they can list the pro's and con's of all that you do, being familiar with what you're doing.





this will give you almost sufficient ammo when you want to explain. just keep in mind, they may still stay uninterested.


good luck %26amp; keep up the hard work


im the mom of a junior and i understand!
I'm delighted to see that you are a self-starter. In addition to the factual statements about your parents, its not hard to see your disgust for their lack of interest.





Have you talked to the guidance counselors at school? Also try to speak to college counselors. Of course, other students and graduates could help give you valuable tips.





This is a great place to start here at yahoo answers! I would ask this question several times over the next few months and revise your questions as your information needs evolve.





Don't be afraid to ask around at youth group activities and church events.





Best wishes to you!
Been there. Actually, my mom was at least a little bit supportive, but didn't really get it either.





Anyway, I know it's tough, but you're not really going to convince them. They did things one way, and they can't understand that life is different today.





Here's the thing. You'll probably still be able to get in even if it's not the top school, and it won't destroy your chances for getting a job later. Don't panic. But do what you can, and try to stay focused. I know it's tough, but I survived, and eventually even went on and got a Ph.D. You'll survive. In fact, it will build character. Once you get to college, you'll find lots of your friends are just as bad an influence then as your parents are now. Instead, they'll be trying to get you to go out and party, but it has the same effect. So, you're now building up willpower that will help you later.





Character-building is never fun, but it will pay off.

No comments:

Post a Comment