Saturday, August 21, 2010

Advice as to what kind of diet foods to help my two Golden Retrievers?

Very, Very overweight, Vet reccomended thyroid med for last 6 years, does not help, just offfice visits to take blood every two months and still the thyroid meds. (I'm Broke) I walk them twice a day 25 minuets each time, I feed them Iams Adult 1.5 cups in the AM and 1.5 cups in the PM, with warm water over it. Any suggestions ideas would be appreciated.Advice as to what kind of diet foods to help my two Golden Retrievers?
1. feed them less, I feed my dogs of similar size 1.5 cups once a day, and they are still slightly fat. they honestly don't need that much food.





2. if that doesn't work, you can sell them to a Fillipino market, dogs that big are premium! very nice!!!Advice as to what kind of diet foods to help my two Golden Retrievers?
Well, lace up your walking shoes, since an hour total of walking a day might not cut it. My 2-year old Golden is 110 pounds, and I had to limit his food intake (his nickname is Hoover...) to a cup a meal of Light Science Diet per day (check to see if Iams has something similar). These dogs were bred to be active workers; if your pair spend the day in the yard while you're at work, they pretty much are comparable to a pair of people hanging out on the sofa with little activity to burn the calories.





Since our Golden is OCD when it comes to balls, we also throw tennis balls all over the yard (we bought a Chuck-It to save our arms) non-stop for at least 30 minutes. And STILL mighty dog has to do a Power-walk (no ambling, which is why your dogs might look forward to their daily strolls rather than WALK) with my husband, who is using the excuse of getting the dog in shape to help himself into shape.





Goldens are notorious for weight issues. They will eat for the sake of eating, and even after being fed, will give you that classic I'm Starving! look that has been bred into those wonderful faces.
Might want to ask this on the Dogs board.

No comments:

Post a Comment