Saturday, August 21, 2010

Any advice or help on quitting smoking?

I know I'm going to be a b*t*h for awhile ...Any advice or help on quitting smoking?
Well....





Since you are asking on here, I assume you are pregnant.





Your best option is just to go cold turkey. You are going to be irritable for up to a couple of weeks. Having quit smoking more times than I can remember, here is what I would suggest:





1. Keep busy!! This is very important! If you are busy, you tend to forget about nicotine.





2. Spend time in non-smoking environments. If you like to read, go to the library and read there. If you can find one, go to a discount movie theatre every day and watch a movie you like (personally, I saw the movie Dragonheart about 20 times in a month at the $1 theatre).





3. Don't do things that you associate with smoking. Don't go to bars if you smoke when you drink. Give up coffee if you smoke with your morning cup. Smoking and driving...never thought of a good alternative to that one...I smoked when I was in traffic, I guess I would now find a route with no traffic. Tell people you are quitting and ask them not to smoke near you and not to let you see them sneak out for a smoke. Ask people not to give you cigarettes, no matter what.





4. Some people smoke so they are just doing something. Keep a pencil, pen, or straw handy so you can twirl it in your hands rather than smoking.





5. Find a support group. I think you can check out the American Cancer Society for this. Search on google. Personally, I never used one, but I never quit for very long either. If I start smoking again, this will be what I try next time.





You can also go talk to your PCP or your OB/GYN. You might be able to use nicotine patches to help you quit. The patches are probably much safer than actually smoking. You can try hypnosis or lazer therapy. I've never tried either one, but I've heard good things about hypnosis. I've never heard anything about lazer therapy..just heard the commercials.








EDIT: I forgot to mention...oats...oats are supposed to help reduce nicotine cravings and is (or at least used to be) a common smoking cessation therapy in Germany (who does much more research on alternative medicine than the US). When you have a craving, try eating a bowl of Cheerios or oatmeal. Supposedly, it takes quite a bit of oats to be really effective at reducing cravings, so don't be surprised if it doesn't work that well. I thought it helped personally.





Good luckAny advice or help on quitting smoking?
Try quitting as early as possible. much harm could be done. Try putting something else in your mouth to keep ur mind of smoking like chewing ur fav. gum or sucking ur fav. sweet. If not, try taking ur mind off smoking by making urself busy with hobbies or go to the supermarket - get that cute little baby shoes, soft toys for ur lil' baby. Create a scrapbook for him/her. Congrats by the way.
i am having this problem too. are you pregnant? i just keep thinking about the effects it can have on my baby such as asthma. this has helped me cut back tremondously. i used to smoke about 10 cigs a day and i am now smoking only when i get upset or mad.. good luck
Ask your physician for a new drug called Chantix. It blocks the neuro-receptors in your brain that recognizes nicotine and knocks the physical cravings out and will make your smokes taste like you licked a frog. You take the med for about 3 months to make sure you are over the ';habit.'; Most insurances pay for it, but it's priced about what 1.5 packs of smokes cost per month. After smoking for 23 years, and trying over and over to quit, this is the ONLY thing that worked, and I quit completely after about 5 days, and had no crabbiness with it. Good Luck Sweetpea
Focus on the thought that you WANT to quit and then do it. I know it is easier said than done. A prescription of Bupropion also helped me out, but there are no ';magic pills'; to take away all desire because you are fighting with physical and psychological addiction.





I also strongly recommend that you read Allen Carr's ';The Easy Way to Stop Smoking'; - it helped me and another friend of mine with quitting.
Cold turkey! That is the only way for me! Yes, I have had a fall back and am smoking again...but this has been the only way for me to quit...Good luck!





Take the money that you spend on smokes and put it in a jar! At the end of each week that you go without smoking...buy yourself something...
i know its hard to quit right away.. just take it one step at a time by lessen your intake everyday..its the best way to quit completely
I quit when I found out I was pregnant, I know that if you wait just a few hours when you wake up and then try to take a drag it'll make you throw up because your head will be spinning so much. (atleast if your pregnant!) Nicorette will do the same thing!
  • hot makeup
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment