Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Help! I need some advice on teaching my Geogaphy students about Chicago?

Hello fellow teachers,





I have to teach my high school students who are about to graduate and have vhosen to take this intensive geography course about Chicago.





I cant find statistics about the changing economy or about poverty or segregation. Those would be interesting things but I just cant seem to find any data on the net.





In addition to that, I am fairly new to teaching (1 year) and that lesson will be observed and graded by 3 persons.








Aaargh!! Thanks for any inspiring ideas for a great geography lesson!Help! I need some advice on teaching my Geogaphy students about Chicago?
I would start by sharing the the many names of Chicago and then show how the city is set up East West North and South. I want them to see how much it make life in Chicago enjoyable. i would hook them into how to get around like a local. I also link the different resources like cabs, bus, trains and pov. I close by address how the climate in chicago will have a major impact on how you chose to travel in Chicago. and a shortcut would be to use MS ENCARTA. as a resources for most information.Help! I need some advice on teaching my Geogaphy students about Chicago?
Collect data about Chicago by rephrasing your question to Yahoo answers. Or collect questions from your students: Sample question: What do you like best about Chicago? Sample answer:


I spent my summers there as a child and I loved the Museum of Science and Industry. As an adult I went back and enjoyed shopping high-end stores.


Once you have lots of different things from lots of different people who have lived in or visited Chicago, then your students can brainstorm what they like about a similar urban city in Germany (or their city). The students can then compare and contrast the two cities: using what they know (a German City) to what others tell them about Chicago.

No comments:

Post a Comment