Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Can you help me with some advice on weaning my son from me?

My son is twelve and a half months old and I'm ready for him to stop breastfeeding. He is fine all day without wanting to eat from me but then at night time he wants to eat from me to fall asleep. Once in a while he'll fall asleep without the help from my milk but he still will wake up a few times a night (since he is teething) and he wants some comfort from eating from me. I was told by a nurse to leave him at someone's house for a night so I won't be there at all for him to want to eat from, but no one I know would want to put up with him if he woke up crying for me. Any other ideas on how to get him to wean off of me? I think it is going to be harder on me than it is on him.Can you help me with some advice on weaning my son from me?
Do you have a husband or boyfriend with you? I had my husband take over for two nights in a row. That was all it took. I literally ';hid'; in my bedroom and waited while my husband rocked my son and gave him milk (regular whole milk).





Much to my surprise, my son was totally fine with it. I was a head case....much of it is hormones, so don't feel bad if you feel some sadness and anxiety from it.





After a few days, my son had transitioned.





It may not be so swift for you.... see if you can get someone (your husband, friend, family member) willing to help you out in your own home for a few nights. Maybe over Labor Day weekend so that person doesn't have a hard time losing some rest?





I hope this helps. It's not an easy transition, but in a couple of weeks, things will feel normal again!





Good luck!Can you help me with some advice on weaning my son from me?
Pump your milk in a bottle and give it to your son before bed. Even have your husband give your son the bottle while you ';hide.';
Check out La Leche Leagues' weaning section at:





http://www.llli.org/NB/NBweaning.html





Contact your local La Leche League for some info and support, as well. Consider getting the book ';The Nursing Mother's Guide to Weaning';, it's an excellent resource.

No comments:

Post a Comment